Tuesday to Saturday 10am-5pm. Last entry 4:30pm.
Closed on Sundays, Mondays and Bank Holidays.
Admission is free.
The quietest time to visit is when we open at 10am. Donations help us to preserve this wonderful Museum. We are grateful for the generosity of our visitors.
What to expect on arrival
Sir John Soane's Museum was not designed to cope with the 5-600 people who visit each day. A member of staff is on duty at the gate throughout the day to manage the queue and to direct visitors. Upon arrival:
- You will be asked by a member of staff to turn off mobile phones and tablets. This is to preserve the special atmosphere in the house from the glow of screens and to ensure our visitors watch where they are walking to reduce the risk of damage or injury.
- We ask you to place your bag into a clear plastic carrier bag (provided by us). This is because the Museum's delicate historic interiors are narrow and we cannot easily protect works of art, meaning there is a risk of damage from the straps and buckles.
- Bags must fit into a carrier bag to be allowed into the Museum. Our cloakroom is too small for bags larger than small rucksacks. Suitcases cannot be brought into the building.
- Photography and sketching is not usually permitted.
- The Museum reserves the right to search bags.
Guides: All visits are self-directed. 'A Short Guide' to the Museum (priced at £5) may be purchased from our reception or shop. The guide will help you to make the most of your visit, as in keeping with Soane's own arrangements, there is little interpretation in the Museum. Our Warders are happy to answer any questions you may have during your visit, or perhaps our audio introduction by Stephen Fry will help.
Dining: Every purchase from Fields Bar and Kitchen near the centre of Lincoln's Inn Fields supports the Museum. Fields are open subject to the parks opening times. Download a voucher for coffee and a pastry for £2.95 here (no need to register). Telephone +44 (0) 20 7242 5351 to book. www.fieldsbarandkitchen.com/.
Address: 13 Lincoln’s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3BP.
Telephone: +44 (0) 20 7405 2107.
Bus: Nearest stop is Holborn Tube Station.
Tube: From Holborn tube take the left exit onto
Kingsway. Take the 3rd left into Remnant
Steet which brings you into Lincolns Inn
Fields. The Museum is nearly half way along
the north side of the Fields.
Car: Pay and display parking around Lincoln's
Inn Fields is in operation while the museum
is open. The nearest car parks are in Drury
Lane and Bloomsbury Square. Blue Badge
holders can park in marked bays.
We are part way through a £7 million restoration project. The Museum is open as usual and all rooms are accessible throughout the project. For more information click here: Opening up the Soane (OUTS).