Admission is FREE.
10.00 – 17:00 Tuesday-Saturday. Last entry 16:30.
Closed Sundays, Mondays and Bank Holidays.
We are open 18:00 – 21:00 on the first Tuesday of every month. For more information on our evening opening please click here.
The Museum is located at 13 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London WC2A 3BP.
• London Underground: The nearest Underground station is Holborn (on the Central and Piccadilly Lines) which is less than a five minute walk away. Temple (on the Circle and District Lines) is a ten minute walk away.
• Bus: Buses 1, 59, 68, 91, 168, 171, 188, 243, 521 and X68 stop on Kingsway. Buses 8, 25 and 242 stop on High Holborn
• Bicycle: The nearest Santander Cycles docking stations are on Sardinia Street and Portugal Street. There are a limited number of public cycle racks on Lincoln’s Inn Fields
• Car: The Museum is within the Congestion Charge zone. There is very limited Pay-and-Display parking in Lincoln’s Inn Fields and a number of disabled green-badge bays
Plan Your Visit
We are welcoming more visitors than ever before. As a national museum unusually located in an historic London townhouse, there is important visitor information to be aware of as you plan your visit:
• On arrival, we will ask you to put any small bags you have into a clear plastic bag (which we will provide) to carry with you on your visit. This is to protect our works of art which are not kept behind glass
• Larger bags will need to be stored in our free cloakroom. Unfortunately, we do not have space to accept suitcases
• You will be asked as you enter to turn off your mobile phones and tablets. This is to preserve the unique atmosphere of the Museum
• During particularly busy periods, you may need to queue for a short time to enter the Museum as capacity is limited
• No photography is allowed throughout the Museum
In keeping with Soane's wishes, there are no labels or panels in the Museum. To help guide you on your visit, we recommend A Short Guide, which is available for purchase on arrival, in our shop, or online (£5).
For those seeking the most comprehensive guidebook, the fully revised and updated edition of A Complete Description offers an insightful room-by-room account of the Museum, and was originally written by Soane himself. This is available on arrival, in our shop or online (£10).
Soane Highlights Tour
Explore the Museum with our expert staff on a Soane Highlights Tour.
We welcome groups to the Museum. Click here for more information on the options available for groups.
Eating and Drinking
The Museum’s café partner is Fields Bar and Kitchen, a culinary gem nestled in the heart of Lincoln’s Inn Fields. Every purchase at Fields supports our work, and Museum visitors enjoy 15% off their bill. Just pick up a voucher at the Museum. Click here for more information, including opening times.