The Sir John Soane Museum’s £7m three-year programme of restoration – Opening Up the Soane - is coming to the end of its first phase.
Phase One will culminate with the opening of No.12 Lincoln’s Inn Fields, the house next door to Soane’s famous house museum, built and decorated by John and Eliza Soane for their own use in 1792.
The house has been restored to its former glory, providing much-needed facilities for the Museum’s yearly intake of 110,000 visitors.
A new shop and cloakroom area on the ground floor will make life much easier for visitors whilst beautiful gallery space on the first floor will open up a new home for the Soane’s temporary exhibitions – starting with Stadia: Sport and Vision in Architecture, part of the Cultural Olympiad, running from 6 July – 22 September 2012.
The second floor will house new Conservation Studios, dedicated to the upkeep of the Museum’s quirky, influential and eclectic collections.
A full background on the restoration works can be found here, and the press release here.
The restoration of No.12 reveals a myriad of original, Regency features hitherto unseen by the public. You can view restoration images here.
Opening Up the Soane consists of three phases, continuing with Phase Two, and the Museum will remain open throughout the planned works:
Phase Two: 2012 – Mid-2013 – restoration of Soane's private apartments, the model room and North drawing room.
Phase Three: 2013- 2015 – restoration of Number 13 Ante rooms, catacombs Apollo recess, New Court link and development of Interpretation room.
Contact us for a tour of the restoration works.