original diary cover

Soane kept a notebook during the building of Number 13 Lincoln's Inn Fields, now his Museum. We will be publishing the entries day by day to mark the 200th anniversary of this build - follow this link for more details.

August 22nd 1812

Transcription & Scan

Saturday 22 Aug. Front wall raised to receive the plate.

scan of sir john soane diary entry on August 22nd 1812

Commentary

This refers to the large, horizontal timbers onto which joists or eaves supporting the structure above are attached.