original diary cover

Soane kept a notebook during the building of Number 13 Lincoln's Inn Fields, now his Museum. We will be publishing the entries day by day to mark the 200th anniversary of this build - follow this link for more details.

October 13th 1812

Transcription & Scan

13th October 1812. The whole of the building covered in completely

scan of sir john soane diary entry on October 13th 1812

Commentary

The final entry in Soane's notebook marks the end of the project to build No.13, at least for this phase.  Soane would continue to make additions and alterations for the rest of his life, as his collection grew.  The whole building was covered in but the loggia remained open on three floors. It was enclosed from 1829 onwards in two phases, beginning with the ground floor in 1829-30 and then the upper floors in 1834. No objections were made. By the time he made this alteration William Kinnard was no longer in office and his successor did not complain about Soane’s action which extended the internal space of three floors in No. 13 by 3 ½ feet beyond the accepted building line on the north side of the Fields.