The Museum needs your help. Soane’s original endowment for the upkeep of the Museum has long been exhausted, and although we are now supported by grant-in-aid from the government, this barely covers the Museum’s day-to-day running costs. Between 2011 and 2014 this grant-in-aid will be reduced by 15%, meaning that we’ll need to find nearly £500,000 each year to balance our books.
With well over 100,000 visitors passing through the Museum each year, there is more wear and tear than ever on Soane’s unique interiors. Your support can help us to conserve and maintain his magnificent but fragile legacy, and keep it open to the public free of charge, for generations to come.
Education has always been an important part of the life of the Museum and today more than 5,000 children and adults take part in our programmes. The education service for school children is provided free of charge, underpinned by the income from our Supporters’ Circle.
Become a member of the Soane Supporters’ Circle and for a minimum of just £2.50 per month you would be helping us to ensure Soane’s Museum is preserved intact for many years to come. For example:
· £30 pays for surface cleaning one of the many small pieces of sculpture or plaster casts
· £50 pays for a folder to store and protect one of our 30,000 architectural drawings
· £100 pays for a large book support for use in the Museum’s Research Library
· £150 pays for conserving an early 19th-century leather volume from Soane’s library
· £200 pays for running a hands-on workshop or a drop-in session in our education unit
· £500 pays for the cleaning and consolidation of a small architectural model
· £1,000 or more pays for the cleaning of an oil painting in the Museum or the restoration of a gilt frame
Members of the Soane Supporters’ Circle make a vital contribution to the Museum. Three times a year the Museum sends its supporters a stylish newsletter, full of news and information about what is going on at the Soane, along with invites to our annual lecture series, being given in 2012 by historian and presenter Dr David Starkey.
To become a member of the Soane Supporters' Circle, all you have to do is make a donation of £30 or more per annum. You can do this online here, or download a donations form here and send it in to us at the address provided.